Write It Down

Countless times, I have wondered where my intimacy fell off with my Creator. Usually, I am driving in my car when I begin to notice that I am alone. "God? Where are you?... Can you hear me?" It seems that I have once again walked away from my intimate connection with my Heavenly Father. So, "Let's find Him," you say. But, before we embark on a spiritual journey to find God again, we should stop and look at the evidence. What evidence? The evidence you should begin preparing in advance. It all starts with a journal.

Journaling is the best way that I know to keep track of my spiritual footsteps. For many years now, I have enjoyed hiking. Usually, I stay on an established trail. However, in the event that I want to deviate from the path, I must make special note of my surroundings so that I can find my way back to the original path when I am finished exploring. This illustration is helpful in explaining what has happened when we wander away from God.

There is always clear evidence of my spiritual health when I begin to review my journal. I have even found that my journal will indicate the steps I must take in order to renew my connection with God. For example, while reviewing my journal, I notice that I stopped writing in my journal for several days. Note to self: write in journal, stay connected with God. Another entry may record a bitterness toward another person. Solution: begin working on the bitterness. I may have recorded that I have not been in prayer or scripture for several days. The solution to this spiritual quandary? You guessed it, prayer and the reading of God's word. Journaling is a discipline. If you have not begun to journal yet, I can suggest a few ways to get started and stay committed:

  1. Pick a time and place. I always write in my journal before I get into bed, while sitting in a chair next to my bed. The consistency of this environment keeps me focused on my journal entry and not distracted by my surroundings.
  2. Record an entry every day. Begin every entry with a date stamp. On days when you miss, simply record your date stamp and write "No entry." This will be helpful when you are reviewing your journal later and discover that a pattern may have developed in your behaviors when you have neglected your journal.
  3. Write It Down. It's not about the perfect re-cap of your day. These are notes to yourself. Keep it simple and write it down. You know what you need to record from your day.

Well, I hope that journaling will be your new spiritual tool for keeping connected with God. If you have already established a habit of journaling, please comment so that others can hear what it is doing for you.

No comments: