In my continuing search for spiritual development, I have stumbled upon a very large roadblock: PRIDE. I use the term stumble because it is the appropriate description for the behavior that necessarily follows pride. "Pride is a killer." That's what my friend and mentor tells me. Until recently, I thought that I had a pretty good handle on this notorious "killer," though I have just found something that might shed some light on the subject.
Consider the following verses: "Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own insterests, but also to the interests of others." (Philippians 2:3-4)
As I take an honest look at my own behavior, it seems as if I may have just stumbled on some pride. I am not very good at "count(ing) others more significant" than myself. In fact, I can say that I fail consistently in the area of rivalry and conceit. It was not until I found this definition of humility that my understanding of pride became clear. Pride is rivalry, conceit, and looking out for my own interests above others. When I am serving someone else, helping someone else, looking after the interests of someone esle, I am experiencing humility as God intended.
So, how do I serve, help, and look out for the interests of others? I must find out what I have and then give it away. This week, I have added an online music store to this blog. I hope you enjoy the thing that I have to give away. Additionally, I know that I must find someone whom I can serve, help, and look after. May God bless you in your pursuit to do the same.
1 comment:
I think this is likely something that all of mankind has struggled with since the beginning of time! I know it is something I struggle with especially when it comes to people who are not in my inner circle, i.e. husband, children, etc. I think it is easy to "give it away" when the person or people we are giving to are people we dearly love. The hard part is continuing to give when the receivers are far from us or it seems to go unnoticed.
Post a Comment