Meeting someone face to face can be a nervous experience. Maybe you aren't very good with words, or you do not make a very good first impression. On the other hand, meeting someone whom we consider important, successful, or influential can be a terrifying experience. We may feel inadequate, weak, or un-important. When faced with these feelings, we sometimes try to even the playing field by finding similar interests in sports, music, or even the weather. This can be a very useful way to establish common ground.
But what about meeting with God? He is clearly important, successful, and influential. Do you feel inadequate, weak, or un-important when you are talking to him? Do you try to level the playing field? What happens when he doesn't seem interested in sports, music or the weather? What else do you try? I would imagine that, like many of us, you begin to play games with God. It is all too common a situation when we find ourselves wresting with God for control and even dominance. Here are some common games we play with him.
We make deals with him:
"If you do this for me, I will do something for you."
We limit his communication to the appearance of signs:
"If the following thing happens, then I will assume that God wants me to do something."
We hold out on him until he meets our demands:
"I would give him more attention if he would only make himself more known to me."
Read the following verses: Isaiah 55:6-9
Do yourself a favor: forget about all of those games and simply seek the Lord with all of your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13) Don't try to find common ground with God, treat him differently than your human counterparts. His word clearly states that he is not like you. (Isaiah 55:8-9) Be honest with him right from the start and put away your attempts to impress him. He will not lift you up until you have humbled yourself before him. (1 Peter 5:6)
1 comment:
It would be nice to have God as A cardnils fan, we might win some games. For some reason I think that if I was around back in the days of the living God Jesus Christ that he would be warm, inviting and easy to talk to so there realy would be no need to establish repor. However I think that would also depend on when and how I ran across him. If it was after I witnessed him heal A blind man I think I would be a liitle nervous to even approach him. I know the Games often seem to take away from our relationship with God. Do you think we play games in our own will or following his?
Post a Comment