Share Your Joy With Me

Maybe it's been a while since you've experienced pure joy. Sometimes, the routines and monotonous actions of our lives drive us into a sedated state of mind. Even more so, when the work piles up, or the hurts go unhealed, we sometimes settle for soothing rather than seeking true joy. So, what is joy? I would like to suggest that: Joy is when you laugh so hard, you think you might pull a muscle. Joy is when you're so engaged in meaningful conversation that you forget about the food on your plate. Joy is when you are so moved by a scene in a movie that you bawl over it in front of your best friend. Joy is when you let go, and let God. Have you experienced that kind of joy lately?

Let's assume that the work has indeed piled up, and you're hurting. Joy is a long way off, and you're tired. Consider this story from the Bible, and see if it sounds like the situation you're facing. Thousands of years ago, as the people of Israel were making their way back to Jerusalem from the distant city of Babylon where they had been slaves, they faced the task of rebuilding their city which lay in ruins. Read the rest of the story by clicking on this link Nehemiah 8:2-10.

I believe this is a good snapshot of the task which lays before us in recovery. Our relationships, some of which may have been ignored for years, may require some rebuilding. Our finances, jobs, homes, or marriages may look like the city which lay in ruins. It's not easy to laugh when you're facing those situations; it's not even easy to cry at that point. Conversations aren't meaningful, they're filled with fearful realities and resentful speech. Movies aren't interesting either, not even the funny ones. How do we find joy in times like these?

There are two portions of the reading that I would like to look at further. The first is Nehemiah 8:3b "And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law." The Israelites had been sent to Babylon as the result of worshipping other gods and turning away from the one true God. As the Book of the Law was read, undoubtedly they began to face the truth of their sinfulness. Additionally, the Law contained instructions for right living. Their situation is similar to our situation in recovery: "What have I done wrong?" and "What is the proper way to make things right?" The key here is that "all the people listened attentively." We cannot find joy while we are ignoring the reality of our situation.

The second portion of the reading shows us how we can experience joy. Nehemiah 8:10b "the joy of the LORD is your strength." We are going to need a lot of strength to break down the strongholds in our lives. We are going to need a lot of strength to begin rebuilding relationships. We are going to need a lot of strength to experience joy. This verse encourages me to seek strength from God. I am powerless to rebuild, so I can let go, and let God give me the strength I will need to make things right. In doing so, I will also experience joy. Consider the following verse:

"Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his place." (1 Chronicles 16:27)

When you are close to God, when you are seeking his strength, you are going to experience his joy as well. God gives us the strength to laugh, the strength to share deeply in conversation, and he gives us the strength to cry. Our prayer ought to simply be:

"God, share your joy with me."

1 comment:

Lee Jones said...

Josh. Very good relection of recovery in this blog. God does offer Joy in his strength even when we are torn down and without. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to face this distruction in my life without him. I guess I would just continue on in denial and pretend that life was going smooth and continue to tear down and never rebuild thinking other things might bring Joy. Seeing the way, the light, and the truth is the only way to begin restoration. The hope that keeps me going is knowing the I am not just rebuilding to replace, but I am rebuilding a better house on a indisructable foundation.