Keeping It Under Your Hat

At what point did you learn that it was impolite or even inappropriate to share your faith with others? You know what I am talking about. In some way, we have all been conditioned to keep our beliefs to ourselves. Unfortunately, for those of us who consider ourselves Christians, we are doing the world a great injustice in not sharing our faith (Matthew 28:19-20). Perhaps we are concerned that we might offend someone when we share our "absolute truth" or "only one way to heaven" faith. Do you know what I am talking about? Have you been missing an opportunity to share your faith with someone?

Here's a story: When I first became a Christian, I felt alienated from my group of friends, and even from my family for some time. I didn't like the feeling of being different, so I simply softened the message. I made excuses for my beliefs like: "Hey, this is just what I believe, I'm not saying you have to go along with me." and "What you believe is up to you, I can't make you change your mind." Can you hear the timidity in these statements? I was on the defensive right away with others when it came to faith. The world is inhospitable toward Christians (John 15:18-19). As soon as we say that Jesus is the only way, we face opposition.

Today, I am less afraid to share my faith. I have seen the impact that I can make on others when I am willing to take a stand for what I believe. It is uncommon in our world to meet someone who is unapologetically Christian. I am not rude, only honest. I am not defensive either; I am willing to be offensive.

Years ago, when I first started talking to my friend Al, he shared the truth with me. I didn't like his message. He stuck to his position though: offensive and unapologetically Christian. About a year later, I prayed to receive Jesus Christ with my friend Al. I suppose he could have softened the message, or rolled into the defensive when I put him on the spot. But he didn't. Then, after receiving Christ, I softened the message, afraid to offend others. The alienation wore me down. I didn't talk to Al anymore and I considered my faith "personal" and "private." (sound familiar?)

The lesson here is to share your faith (1 Peter 3:15). Start by sharing your story. If you do not think you have a story to tell, think again. God has been writing your story since before you were born. He wants you to share your story with others, that they might come to believe in him and give him glory.

No comments: