"Progress, Not Perfection"

I wrote this song just after I had finished recording "Reasonably Happy." I can remember feeling like the best days were behind me. To top it off, I didn't know if I would be able to write anything as heartfelt as the songs I had written before. I suppose anyone with an artistic outlet wonders when the creative juices will stop flowing. Or, in this case, the milk and honey.

I imagine that the road ahead of some of us looks more confusing than just writing a bunch of new songs. Admittedly, songwriting is the way I process my fears about the future. So, now you know how scared I am! What are you afraid of failing? Are you starting something new? Are you quitting something old? When our future looks dim, why not look at our past for some encouragement. I'm sure that you have "fallen down" in the past. We all have. But you got up didn't you?

Check out some of these verses:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." -James 1:2-4

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." -Philippians 1:6

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." -Hebrews 12:1

Living the Christian life is all about getting back up. Otherwise, the scriptures would not refer to the need for perseverance. If we already had it, we would not need to seek it. When we seek it, we must remember that God is the perfecter of our character and that he can work with our failures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. No need to re-write. This post really spoke to me.