Show Me More of You

This week, I want to continue talking about our misconceptions with regard to our Heavenly Father. As you remember, last week's topic "The Games People Play" focused on the way in which we try to level the playing field with God when communicating with him. But what is the reason behind our divisiveness? I propose that most of us have an incorrect or at least an incomplete understanding of our Heavenly Father's character.

1. Suppose that you think God is ready to punish you for any act of disobedience. How might you interact with him or even resist interacting with him as you are aware of your own imperfections? He might seem like a cosmic prison warden to you. But what if you knew the truth? (Romans 5:8)

2. Suppose that you think it is God's responsibility to protect you and those you love from all bodily harm, illness, and financial struggle. How would you respond to God when someone dies tragically? Would you blame him, or lose faith in him because he did not perform according to your understanding of his responsibilities? But what if you knew the truth? (Romans 8:28, Romans 8:38-39)

3. Suppose you think that you cannot approach God because he is too holy and you are too sinful to be in his presence. What could you ever do to obtain his audience or attention with regard to your needs, either spiritual or otherwise? Wouldn't you feel lonely and unimportant? But what if you knew the truth? (Hebrews 4:14-16)

It's not surprising that we tend to make assumptions with regard to God's character. We do this with practically everyone around us as well. Think about the way we size up our co-workers, strangers, and even our family members by looking at their appearances, listening to their language, and watching their behavior. But why do we tend to pigeon-hole God's character without researching his ways? How many of us are simply constructing ideas about God without using the one document (the Bible) that he says can teach us about him? (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

I will leave you with one word of caution and encouragement: Before you assume anything about God, begin to ask him, through prayer, to reveal his true character to you. Watch and see how he begins to honor your request. Purchase a Bible, or grab the copy that sits on your shelf, and let him lead you in his word. I have included a song "Show Me More of You" on this post as an example of the way that I have had to come face to face with my own misunderstandings about our Heavenly Father. The sound quality is not the best, but it still works. I hope it is a blessing to you.


1 comment:

Ma'am and Dadgum said...

As always this is a great message about our relationship with God. I LOVE the song and that you've posted the words so I can sing along.